I’m on a quest to be more punctual. You can read all about it here. When I think about the days I’m not rushed, I see a common thread: I started the night before.
What does this mean?
Basically, if I prepare as much as I can ahead of time, I’m helping my future self to have fewer hangups on my way to where I’m going.
To help me be more organized in this, I made a list on a sticky note of the things I need to do in the evening to be ready to go come morning time. They are:
- Tidy. This just means I do a quick sweep of the house and pick up things that aren’t where they should be. This helps me keep clutter at bay. It’s amazing how quickly things pile up if I don’t do this each evening!
- Food. This means I look over my menu to see what I need to thaw for dinner the next evening and I also pack my lunch for the next day.
- Outfit. Planning my outfit in the evening and making sure I have all the pieces ready to go is such a time saver. If I skip this step, I’ll be running to the laundry room to get a clean shirt or trying to find a specific pair of socks in the morning, which is a big waste of time! I also set out my workout clothes so I have no excuse not to workout the next day.
- Hair, face, nails. This is just a reminder to do standard daily grooming.
- Journal. I’m toying around with a new app called Grid Diary (so far, I like it!). Whether I use that or a paper journal, I like to include journaling in my evening prep to help complete the day and prepare for sleep.
- Read. The evening is when I get most of my reading done, so I was sure to include it on my list!
I have found that taking the few minutes to go through this list each night makes a world of difference for the next morning. Putting a sticky note with this list in my planner helps to keep it somewhere I’ll see.
What do you do in the evening to help things go more smoothly in the morning? I would love to hear about it in the comments section below.
Join me as I share new content about personal development, relationships, and wellness each Tuesday and Thursday:
Follow on Facebook
Subscribe to New Posts by Email